Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Further Adventures of Val Williams # 1 - Bad Moon Rising pt. V

The child is psychotic, there’s no question about it. I can’t overpower him, he’s in a frenzy. His little arms are moving too fast, I can’t grab them or make him stop attacking me. A woman screams with a mighty fury, off somewhere in the background. This is humiliating, I’m being beaten up by a ten year old. Something dangles down and hits me in the chest, something containing a great kind of power. In a ditch effort, I stop shielding my face with my arms for a second and snatch the thing from around the boy’s neck.

A moon rock. The boy falls back onto the pavement. I get up and hold the object up, while the boy jumps and scratches, trying to get the thing back. He’s still in a frenzy, but his power’s gone, he got his power from the moon rock. The woman who screamed runs off, west on Kildare, she saw everything. What did she think she saw exactly?

“Alright,” a voice behind me says, “give me the rock.”

I turn around, the voice is attached to a well-dressed gun-wielding maniac. I recognize this guy from the papers.

“What, this?” I say, grabbing the kid and shoving him in front of me.

Out of the corner of my eye, the street kids start east on Kildare, directed by … a man in a trench coat, waving them home like a third base coach.

The gun cocks.

“Alright, alright, alright,” I say, thinking on my feet, “here, Mr. Khaddafy, I’m walking over, and I’m giving you the rock.”

I get half way over and he says, “that’s far enough. Throw it to me.”

“Throw it,” I say, changing plans, “uh…”

Before the bastard can react, I place the rock in the kid’s hand and toss him right into Khaddafy’s chest with all my strength. The kid tears into him real good, too. But I can’t hang around and watch, I’ve got a screaming woman to catch.

***

Abbott noticed a faint blue glow emanating from the cemetery, which grew brighter and stronger. The wind kicked up dirt and stark pages of newspapers and technicolor fliers. With a sigh he checked to see if his gun was still holstered since the last time he checked, thirty seconds before. Mouthing a silent curse, he ran towards the cemetery with his gun ready.

***

Be sure to tune in next month for The Further Adventures of Val Williams # 2: The Dead Walk!

No comments: