Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Have a Magic Hammer, I Found It In a Field

but it didn't do me no good then, I had to wait, like everyone else, for the change to come. A twister brought it down to where our strongest men could not budge it, our mightiest cattle could not move it and our fairest maidens could not stir it. It was I, back then your humble milksop, whose sturdy but wiry limbs and tout though excitable heart saw fit to remove the object from its resting place. It was a burden that only I could handle. Now, the hammer is my friend, and I gave it a name.

I have a magic hammer, I found it in a field

I control the weather with it, but I've never been able to reproduce the magic twister which dropped it in my way. I clap clouds and peal thunder, which always brings up a cheer and a hunger for drink. Our town had not expected things like magic hammers to fall out of the sky, but we are nothing if not fine adjusters. My father sacrificed an eye to see the future. He is a great man, we used to call him Fred and he drove a tractor shirtless, thick with sweat. He grew up in and around rodeos and he takes crows as pets. But he cannot lift my hammer.

I have a magic hammer, I found it in a field

I crack skulls open with it. There once was a man who lurked in the woods, who would peek his calculating eyes out from behind trees. After the twister, when the changes started taking place, he was a troll who murdered children. He slept days beneath the foot bridge over the creek. He ate the children, all the ones that did not change, he ate them all away. So I cracked him in his skull with the hammer and his head split open. I think when I did that, tall the little children's souls wandered out and went back home. I wipe my hammer clean and smile.

I have a magic hammer, I found it in a field

and don't think it could happen to you, because this is my hammer, the only one of its kind. We love each other, my hammer and me and I gave it a name. I wield it and give it power, my mind and my hands give it a job to do, give it purpose. I think the hammer appreciates that. And I can feel already that I have put something of myself back into it, there will always be a little part of me in this hammer. Until the next twister comes, powerful enough to sweep it all away and deposit it in the next town, it's just going to be me and my magic hammer, which I named Percy Pepper.

1 comment:

benzo369 said...

I have a hammer as well. But I never used it on children or trolls... mehawhehaw...