Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Further Adventures of Val Williams # 2 - The Awakening, pt. II

Wind’s picking up. Hell wind. Cools you to the marrow sometimes, other times it’s an inviting warm breeze, wraps around you like a sorceress, breathes hot on your neck and won’t let go. Summertime’s when the Devil feels right at home. He’s been invited too, by this woman, this … believer!

The streetlights are dim, but there she is, practically running, arms wrapped tightly, staring at the cracked and bumpy pavement.

She’s pretty young, but old enough to know better. The Heights is the poor people district: junkies, winos, indigents, artists. This one looks like an artsy type, usually they‘re pretty practical minded but open to new ideas like werewolves attacking people on city streets. I’m probably going to have to shoot her.

I get her attention, she gives me a dirty look. Tries to act as if guys are always trying to get her attention. Egotistical believer.

“Whoa, there,” I say, “are you alright?”

She mutters something about me being a pervert and how I should get away from her.

“It’s just, you look like you saw a ghost.”

Ignores me. Come on, I’m trying to save the world here.

“Okay, all I’m saying is that I saw something back there, too.”

She glances over, “you got blood on your face, Romeo.” She pulls out her cell and starts dialing.

“Listen,” I say, blocking her way, “I just need to know what you saw. Did you see a werewolf?”

She looks like she’s ready to try out those self defense lessons she took, “are you an idiot?”

I ask what she saw in my most menacing tone. She says she saw a guy getting mugged. I watch her knee the whole time, trying to edge my crotch out of the line of fire.

“So, you don’t believe you saw a werewolf?”

“Get away from me.”

I leave her alone. Seems I wasted my time here. The wisp of belief I thought was coming off of her persists and continues to blow through the unkempt streets, burning with a nightmare wind sent from hell.

TBC ...

1 comment:

benzo369 said...

Beware not of the nightmarish shape of a werewolf. Beware of the nightmarish strength of a woman's foot to the balls.