Monday, November 8, 2010

Misconceptions

PROLOGUE TO A SHORT STORY:

The elderly man pulled out his iPhone. He shook it a little and smiled at the young man sitting beside him.

“You ever see the horrors of capitalism?” the elderly man asked.

“Well, of course. We know what just happened on Wall St. Too Big to Fail,” said the young man fixing his green army jacket. “It’s just so... immoral. I’d like to start a revolution and return the world to the people.”

“You fight in a battle?” asked the elderly man earnestly.

“No, not as such. I guess you could say my English lit studies are a bit of a battle for a decent grade. And lord knows my arguments with my group for my Collective Creative Writing class is an ongoing war,” said the young man, still trying to make is jacket fit right.

“So no war, eh?”

The elderly man began pushing away on his iPhone, pulling up a recent video he enjoyed. He said that the world was a good deal colder than it was when he was in university. He blamed it on money. The real monsters of the world had always been those who wanted to possess.

The young man approved and added that you could tell, “The corporate world is full of possession obsesses. Fucking Wall St.”

“Wall St. you say,” the elderly man said, placing his iPhone back in to his pocket, “that reminds me of a story.”

“Tell it my friend,” encouraged the young man…

No comments: